We also occasionally sell refurbished vans.
Here are some vans we are currently working on if you’re interested: While we do perform full on restorations where every nut and bolt is touched, most of the vans we sell are refurbished. Typically we go through them extensively and make them reliable /usable vehicles again. We often add modern amenities such as solar, modern refrigeration, lighting, etc. All major mechanical items are new, refurbished or in current perfect working order when they leave. If you would like to look at a van please make an appointment ahead of time.
1986 Pastel White full camper Westfalia. Solar, truckfridge, automatic transmission, very clean $33,500 - Ready NOW.
1990 Flash Silver Vanagon full camper. Amazing condition. recent motor and transmission replacement. new cooling system, wheels, tires, solar, 3 window tent. Must see. $39,000
1990 Pastel White full Camper Westfalia. Excellent body, truckfridge, solar, new carpet, fox shocks, propex heater, second battery system. This van sold for $50,000 at GoWesty in 2008. Available winter 2020. $41,000
Own a westy ? We know them well. We have been servicing Vanagons, and Vanagons only for over 10 years. From engines & transmissions, to solar and second battery systems we have you covered.
Notable Projects At Outwesty
Gobi the forgotten syncro.
It was July 2019 when a bare syncro shell showed up on Craigslist about 2 hours from our Santa Cruz shop. It was hard to tell from the photos if it was an original syncro westy or not. I thought to myself you’d have to be crazy to take on this big of a project and didn’t email the seller for a few days. I had a rusted out syncro tin top that I had been storing in Michigan for several years that would be the perfect donor to get this project underway. I’m an addict and after a few emails with the seller it turns out that it actually was an original syncro westy shell, the holy grail of syncros imported to North America if you will. This van had been disassembled over 10 years ago for a restoration and then the owner went another direction. Over the years most of the parts went on to other vans as the shop we acquired it from did a lot of Vanagon work.
Well, we came to an agreement and two days later we were headed to Livermore to pick up the shell. Nothing came with it. No doors, no glass, no suspension parts, nothing, not even a single nut or bolt. The shell was actually acid dipped to remove all of the paint and undercoating. It was then epoxy primered and never touched again for a decade. It had its share of dents and dings, but most importantly it was 100% rust free.
I had my rusty parts donor shipped from MI to CA and now it was on. We stripped the syncro running gear in two days and had every single piece of it sent off to zinc plating. Some of it was satin black powdered over and some of it clear powder coated so you could see just what we actually did.
The underside was coated in 3M body schutz to ensure this car would be protected from the elements for as long as its on the road. We had to finish the undercarriage and assemble the suspension so it could be rolled out for paint. Most of the body work was done in house and then it was sent off to be sprayed in non metallic Gobi beige. This took longer than expected. The shell was gone for 3 months. During this time we purchased another parts van and disassembled it for its hardware. Again, every single nut and bolt was zinc plated and original VW. By the time the shell was back from paint we had basically collected and restored every part we needed to finish the van. The van came back mid February. It was go time again.
I had made a bet with a friend that it would drive to syncrofest, which is in Hollister hills in early May. That seemed almost impossible to assemble a vehicle that you may not even have all the parts for yet in less than 3 months. On top of that, we are a busy shop so this was worked on mostly in the evenings.
Within the first weekend we had the doors hung, insulated the interior with 3M thinsulate, and the wiring basically completed. By the fifth week the TDI motor I had been putting together was in along with a regeared locking diff transaxle, and a locking front differential. In the 6th, 7th and 8th weeks it really started to look like a an actual Westfalia. We started it for the first time a few days before syncrofest and spent a few days road testing it. We got it registered the morning syncrofest started. It wasn’t 100% finished, but it made it and also tied for first in the syncro driving cup.
Anyway, we are passionate about these machines and can’t wait for the next project.